Author Topic: The end of Hull Ionians...?  (Read 4807 times)

Offline Red Horseman

• Legend of the Game
  • A little respect please...
  • Aquila non capit moscas.
    • View Profile
Re: The end of Hull Ionians...?
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2018, 06:26:29 PM »
I've read and re-read your first line. It makes no mention of a merger. The rest mentions your ground, merit table and financial position. From this, we can assume the merger is on......
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO DRINK CHEAP WHISKY.

Offline Yorkie

• Finding my feet
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2018, 07:56:49 PM »

You can assume what you like, I was simply putting right three glaring mistakes which people had made.

Offline Red Horseman

• Legend of the Game
  • Aquila non capit moscas.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2018, 08:26:22 AM »
Thank you for doing that.

The fact remains that the only people remotely interested in who's winning and why in the various Biggest Willy Waving categories of the current competition are Barbie and the assorted members of the Hull clubs. The other 99.9% of forum members are only concerned with the state of the merger progress.
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO DRINK CHEAP WHISKY.

Offline Speccy

• Forum old hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2018, 08:35:38 AM »
Surely if there is to be a merger,it would need to be announced by the end of the season,as it could well affect other clubs via promotion/relegation.Currently Ionians are fourth bottom of Nat League 1 but could still be relegated,whilst Hull are second in North Premier and could be promoted.In which league would the merged Club play and where would a spot open up for potentially a team to avoid relegation?

Offline Chief Selector

• One of the boys
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2018, 01:24:46 PM »
Message to all clubs..... find your level, build a community club through growth of the youth game and via a sustainable business plan.....

Its too expensive to go up the leagues without huge investment, players in Nat 1 and 2  and even lower demand financial recompense and indeed lower, even the financial power of Doncaster understand that. How possibly can Ionians fund their squad and travel etc with what they bring in. I know Wakefield were there in 2004.
I often ask myself "why are clubs doing this its like throwing money down the drain" surely one of the key responsibilities of someone on the board or committee of a club is to make decisions which protect the longevity of the club.....

you reap what you sow...

Offline backrowbandit

• God
  • Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2018, 02:34:57 PM »
The most commonly asked question by people visiting Silver Royd for the first time "why aren't you in the national leagues?"

Answer : see chief selectors post above....
Loving all rugby but especially at grassroots level. Lucky to be involved in England's number one ranked level 7 league...Yorkshire One.

Offline Pristine Shorts

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2018, 08:31:51 PM »
All the best to Scarbs from this corner of Ilkley Station....

Offline Builders mate

• Finding my feet
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2018, 09:59:33 PM »
The most commonly asked question by people visiting Silver Royd for the first time "why aren't you in the national leagues?"

Answer : see chief selectors post above....
[/quote

Or, could it be that Scarborough 's Chief Executive spends so much time on this forum, it leaves little time to do his Club job properly?

Offline Billy36

• Finding my feet
  • Breathing Cotswold fire over Yorkshire's fields
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2018, 11:09:33 PM »
Please do inform us on how wonderfully run your club is Trademan’s Acquaintance, we’d all love to be stuck in the process of a merger brought about by financial mis-management.

Be sure to include how we should placate our volunteers when they have no club to give their time to.

Offline Builders mate

• Finding my feet
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2018, 11:22:52 PM »
Billy you are wonderfully mis-informed on the reason for our merger talks.

I would not begin to advise someone as proficient as yourself on how to run a rugby club. You clearly have all of the answers.

Offline Alf Hart

• One of the boys
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 15, 2018, 08:34:44 PM »
Builders mate

I have a good mate who has a son playing at Ionians . I visit occasionally for a catch up and to support him . ( I’ve watched him since juniors) . I generally enjoy my visit as I do most clubs . I’m a little stumped by this thread .

Are talks of a merger genuine ?? If so then the only rationale must be for financial purposes surely . Why would you merge a successful independent business otherwise ?  I don’t expect a full and frank exposure obviously . I also realise most of this is willy waving and Micky taking . Seriously if a merger is subject of discussion then financial problems are the root cause . ( I am aware of how much my mates lad is paid and good luck to him) . How ionians fund that system would seem to be why everyone here is having a pop . I aren’t bothered either way really, my mate is though as he would like to see his Lad back at his ‘parent’ club albeit still getting paid .

Offline backrowbandit

• God
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 16, 2018, 08:06:16 AM »
The two quotes below are from another message board from members of the two clubs....

"The two clubs are not merging in the foreseeable future. Talks have been held between officials of both clubs without any real progress made. If, and it's a BIG if, anything does come of the discussions the news will be announced in a proper and appropriate manner."

"Just to correct you on a couple of points,
Talks have been held between officials of Hull Ionians and Sponsors of Hull. Progress has been made, but time is against us for next season hence the postponement. "

Loving all rugby but especially at grassroots level. Lucky to be involved in England's number one ranked level 7 league...Yorkshire One.

Offline Yorkie

• Finding my feet
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 16, 2018, 08:53:10 AM »
BackrowBandit,
 Sorry to contradict you but both those quotes came from Hull Ionians members.
 Namely BP Youth and then by Sid James.

Offline backrowbandit

• God
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 16, 2018, 09:46:33 AM »
Ok fair enough - gives a bit more insight...

Offline Builders mate

• Finding my feet
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 16, 2018, 05:54:51 PM »
Builders mate

I have a good mate who has a son playing at Ionians . I visit occasionally for a catch up and to support him . ( I’ve watched him since juniors) . I generally enjoy my visit as I do most clubs . I’m a little stumped by this thread .

Are talks of a merger genuine ?? If so then the only rationale must be for financial purposes surely . Why would you merge a successful independent business otherwise ?  I don’t expect a full and frank exposure obviously . I also realise most of this is willy waving and Micky taking . Seriously if a merger is subject of discussion then financial problems are the root cause . ( I am aware of how much my mates lad is paid and good luck to him) . How ionians fund that system would seem to be why everyone here is having a pop . I aren’t bothered either way really, my mate is though as he would like to see his Lad back at his ‘parent’ club albeit still getting paid .

Alf,
I think it is now common knowledge that merger talks have taken place.
I think the Club board has a duty to the Club members to explore any proposal that may benefit the Club.
So, when Hull approached us we agreed to talks. There are now no plans to progress the proposal for next season but talks will continue with a view to maybe finding some common ground for season 2019/20.

I don't think everyone is having a pop, just those who don't know any better.

If your mates lad is who I think he is, I hope he stays with us. He is very good young player.