$txt['mentions'] = 'Mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_removeMentions'] = 'Remove seen mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_desc_removeMentions'] = 'Automatically removes seen mentions older than the specified days'; Sadly...It's goodbye North Ribb

Sadly...It's goodbye North Ribb

This is a discussion for the topic Sadly...It's goodbye North Ribb on the board Yorkshire 1.

Author Topic: Sadly...It's goodbye North Ribb  (Read 13375 times)

Ashrugby

• Finding my feet
Reply #15 on: April 17, 2018, 09:02:46 PM
I think it's very unpredictable how teams will do in Yorkshire 1 next year and beyond  as it's now decision time.

Are clubs going to look for grants/loans and additional support from the rfu by complying with the rules on payments to players or are they going to go it alone and pay players and take their chance that the money available to them isn't significant enough to make much difference.
For some clubs this decision will make little difference but for others it's a big call.
I suspect it won't be long before North Ribb are back in Yorkshire 1

Dan Nulty

• Legend
Reply #16 on: April 18, 2018, 06:41:54 AM
Those clubs will always find a way to pay them, how the rfu would manage to uncover that I have no idea. A Yorkshire one club has supposedly been offering one or two of my players money for next year.

Ribbflagman

• A little respect please...
Reply #17 on: April 18, 2018, 11:32:54 PM
Come on mr nulty tell us more. no secrets on here.

Whoopey

• One of the boys
Reply #18 on: April 19, 2018, 10:01:43 AM
Moortown have offered a very good front row from Doncaster area in Y1 a lot of money to go play there. £££££

Ashrugby

• Finding my feet
Reply #19 on: April 19, 2018, 01:05:54 PM
I think Moortown can pay that prop as much as they want as long as they declare it openly to the rfu and it's included in their accounts

I'm assuming this means that they will not be asking for any grants from the rfu but after all that's their decision.

However I don't agree with you Dan that clubs will get round this system by paying players and not declaring this payment.

That would need about four officers from the club to lie to the rfu in a document held by the rfu.
I can see some people thinking that the RFU won't find out and even if they do they'll only get docked a few points.
More importantly the other interested party here is HMRC as I wouldn't want my signature on a document saying I hadn't been paying someone when I had. It seems to me that nobody would be stupid enough to put themselves in that situation but then we've all seen people do some stupid things at rugby clubs

Used To Be Fast Once

• Forum old hand
Reply #20 on: April 19, 2018, 01:30:36 PM
I can remember when you couldn't pay players at all. However clubs did in one way or another like a car to get to training a job offer or even a brown envelope passed under the table from a well off backer.

ye olde 9

Reply #21 on: April 19, 2018, 03:06:46 PM
It was always nice to go back into the changing room, shower, dress and find a little brown envelope in your blazer pocket. 50 quid if you had trained both nights, 25 if you had missed a session. This was 23 years ago, anyone who thinks everything will be above board is bonkers. I have lads in my uni side who play N2 for 75-100 quid a week, good uni standard,, great kids, wouldn't pay them in chocolate buttons, my point being who is worth paying.

Rugby01

• One of the boys
Reply #22 on: April 19, 2018, 03:19:41 PM
Ashrugby
That would need about four officers from the club to lie to the rfu in a document held by the rfu.

In order to pay players (or more correctly, if a player receives material benefit for playing rugby), the player needs to be contracted and the RFU informed of the fact.

That regulation has been inforce for many years and has never been policed and rarely enforced.

I suspect the fact that 4 club officials (Chairman, Treasurer, Secretary + 1 other) now have to sign a document will have little effect on the how clubs continue to operate.

Ashrugby

• Finding my feet
Reply #23 on: April 19, 2018, 03:45:54 PM
So when the RFU says that clubs who pay players at level 6 and below will not be able to apply for grants or be involved I having an  AGP do they mean it or do they not mean it because I was under the impression they meant it

Dan Nulty

• Legend
Reply #24 on: April 19, 2018, 06:09:44 PM
Ash, am sure they mean it, it is the policing of it and proof that will be required. I don't see them having the man power.

Sorry, won't get it out of me on here but obviously I will be asking the rfu next season what that club's declared position is.

Dark Arts Advocate

Reply #25 on: April 20, 2018, 11:36:56 AM
So back to the thread!

RFM and RIE, are your boys going to do Selby a favor on Saturday and drag WH into Y2 with you?

I suspect you will want to sign off with a win!
Have no fear of perfection, you’ll never reach it.”

Memory_Man

• Legend
Reply #26 on: April 20, 2018, 01:05:54 PM
So back to the thread!

RFM and RIE, are your boys going to do Selby a favor on Saturday and drag WH into Y2 with you?

I suspect you will want to sign off with a win!

It's in Selbys hands! The Ribb v WH could simply be a tussle for the wooden spoon.

Chief Selector

• Forum old hand
Reply #27 on: April 20, 2018, 02:00:03 PM
1981/82 season a very old Tommy David playing for Pontypridd at College Grove (against a very young me) after the game he was handed a half pint of beer by one of their supporters/committee..... "I bet you £50 you can't drink that in one Tommy".....Tommy duly obliges..... "oh well done Tommy" says the supporter and hands him the £50....

Just won a bet.....

How can it be policed... impossible

I dont agree with paying players below Nat 2 personally and those that do should question 'why' but your never going to stop it..

Mink

• Forum old hand
Reply #28 on: April 20, 2018, 02:38:59 PM
Steve I am totally with you that it is impossible to police.

the world and the game changes so much so quick. i don't think the question should be should clubs or shouldn't they pay players it should be are they able to afford to pay players. we have seen with teams like halifax, beverley and morley all find their levels when big money backers find their level when the big money stops.

maybe we should look at a financial fair play?

Sail By

• The lord of the Manor...
Reply #29 on: April 20, 2018, 02:48:48 PM
Mink, wait for the new international ticket allocation to see what these clubs do!!
Finally the RFU are going to recognise clubs who contribute to the "Health of the Game".

Going back to the subject, I have sent a message to North Ribb and would like to echo on how nice a club that they have. Sometimes in this day and age we seem to lose the rugby ethos, something Ribb certainly don't!!