$txt['mentions'] = 'Mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_removeMentions'] = 'Remove seen mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_desc_removeMentions'] = 'Automatically removes seen mentions older than the specified days'; Staying in touch....how is everyone doing?

Staying in touch....how is everyone doing?

This is a discussion for the topic Staying in touch....how is everyone doing? on the board Regional Two (North & North East).

Author Topic: Staying in touch....how is everyone doing?  (Read 3392 times)

backrowbandit

• God
  • A little respect please...
  • Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius
on: March 27, 2020, 06:40:23 AM
I thought it might be useful to try and keep everyone in touch and see how you are all doing.

Strange time at home for me...the kids are off school and I'm working from home as much as I can. My wife is a service manager at the local NHS so is working a lot.

We are lucky that we live in a large house with a garden but I really feel for those in flats or who live alone. We are helping out people we know who live alone and I have to shop for my parents who are in their 70's. My dad is finding it hardest as they are still very active (they drive down to Italy twice a year etc..so they're not dribbling wrecks yet).
We all stood at the front of the house and clapped for the NHS last night and all across Scarborough you could hear drums, fireworks and cheering...it was very uplifting.
I manage to get out for a long dog walk each day over the fields and woods near my house and generally don't see a soul. Everyone I know is taking social distancing very important.

As for the club, this is taking up a large amount of time (and thought). We are a large staffed operation so there has been a number of complications which we are working through. I think small clubs and large clubs will both face challenges of an unprecedented nature. I fully understand that the loss of a couple of home games for a small club could have huge consequences (makes you wonder why the RFU want to impose this loss every year?/!!)
We have invested in video conferencing and will be ramping up meetings soon between various groups.... directors, senior staff, coaches etc...

As I'm sure is the case at most clubs there have been some incredible offers of kindness and generosity. Some people have made offers of donations and many answered a call to help us assist members living by themselves.
It's sad seeing all those rugby fields unused, new gym equipment empty and bars and cafes that normally fizz with activity empty....Silver Royd wasn't built to be empty!

The country and world is going to take several years to get over this so for the time being nothing is going to be the same. However there probably isn't a better country to be in when it comes to facing these challenges and finding ways through them...

Hopefully lots of people will post about what's happening in your life and rugby club....

Good luck all.....stay safe.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 06:43:48 AM by backrowbandit »
Loving all rugby but especially at grassroots level.

Fredsbar

• Paternal Voice of the Silent Majority
Reply #1 on: March 27, 2020, 08:28:59 AM
Good post BrB.
I live in a rural area outside Halifax and My wife and I have been carrying out much needed gardening in this fine weather. Our daughter only lives 3 miles away but her and her husband are working from home. With two children aged 10 and 6 they are trying to adapt. We wish we could help, other than using face timing or other means. Before The outbreak we purchased a cockapoo puppy Jack and he is taking up a lot of our time. As far as the Rugby Club is concerned we are of course on shutdown, and thankfully have no loans to service. It was only on Monday that one of our members managed to brush the pitch following the floods in February. It’s going to be a long haul but let’s hope our British spirit pulls through. Best wishes and stay safe.

Red Horseman

• Legend of the Game
  • Aquila non capit moscas.
Reply #2 on: March 27, 2020, 08:33:23 AM
All's as well as can be in Whitby.

With a wife and one daughter being - for different reasons - in the high risk bracket, I watched with dismay and incredulity last weekend the number of people flooding into the town as if nothing was happening. The community quickly gave a message to the takeaway outlets involved that what they were doing was unacceptable, and they just as quickly closed up. The more enterprising ones now offer a home delivery service. Let's see what this weekend brings!

Times like these bring out the best and worst of human behaviour. We should concentrate on the best and thank not just the NHS but all the essential workers and delivery people keeping us going.

My summer sport is coastal rowing, which was due to start on Monday. It's a heritage sport that in recent years has been struggling to survive, and I just hope the cancelled season ahead isn't going to prove fatal.

Plenty of loo rolls in our Sainsburys this week, but still no beer. Priorities all wrong!

Blue skies folks.
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO DRINK CHEAP WHISKY.

Pristine Shorts

Reply #3 on: March 27, 2020, 10:39:15 AM
Nice posts here and good to see you all again.

I imagine life is the same here in Ilkley as elsewhere in Yorkshire - just a few cars around and rather gloomy-looking people queuing here and there for food and the Post Office. The weather has been so lovely this week, it’s hardly surprising that after all the doom and gloom around ( isn’t the BBC awful ? ) that people felt they could and should get out into the fresh air. We live right next to Ilkley Moor and could hear what sounded like hundreds of people there at the weekend - not since though.

Goodness knows what rugby will be like when it returns, but I would think a lot of the semi-pro teams are really going to struggle. We’ve had such a rotten season that a lot of us were glad to see the premature back of it ! Anyway, hopefully back to see some old friends in due course.

God bless us, one and all said Tiny Tim.

stubbs

• One of the boys
Reply #4 on: March 27, 2020, 10:57:03 AM
All's well in York, apart from the council still allowing the contractors to work on the community stadium that is already several years

late.

I'm retired apart from 10 days a year part time as a non exec vice chair of a friendly society. Our London meetings are now video

conferences/ telephone/ e mail however we can contact.  Like all other friendly societies our investments are several £m down.

Our staff (only 5 ) are working from home in various parts of the W Midlands

and staying safe. I'm self isolated for the foreseeable future, but able to get some exercise with the dog. Wife and 18 y.o. daughter

currently out on their bikes doing 20 miles worth of exercise. In the middle of fence painting at the moment (3 days worth) Then

internal decorating.

Looking forward to Rfu's decision as to what to do with the leagues. York really in a win/win position either promotion or plenty of hotly

contested well supported local derbies

backrowbandit

• God

Chief Selector

• Forum old hand
Reply #6 on: March 30, 2020, 03:29:40 PM
Hi All

All ok here in Burn, Selby

Wife is in charge of Infection & Prevention for Mid Yorkshire NHS Trust based at Pinderfields Wakefield, i'm sure you can image the stress of her job at the moment so me and the lads are trying to support her the best we can. Loveley the other night to see the clapping for the NHS. Mother in law is in a nursing home with NO visitors allowed but that's a wise decision. I'm working from home and relying on Microsoft Teams (recommend it) and Zoom to contact work colleagues. I'm a commercial mortgage broker and the world has gone crazy with some lenders not wanting any more new applications but others still very much open for business. Getting plenty of chipping practice in the back garden. The major stress and one which is taking up a load of my spare time is to manage our rugby club through these uncharted territories, not easy, but we have saved for a rainy day, we have pulled summer work forward and we are exploring all government based assistance. With prudent management we should be ok, but who knows how long this will last..

Take care everyone and stay safe

backrowbandit

• God