$txt['mentions'] = 'Mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_removeMentions'] = 'Remove seen mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_desc_removeMentions'] = 'Automatically removes seen mentions older than the specified days'; Hull Ionians ask for help to avoid closure

Hull Ionians ask for help to avoid closure

This is a discussion for the topic Hull Ionians ask for help to avoid closure on the board Other Senior Rugby.

Author Topic: Hull Ionians ask for help to avoid closure  (Read 4309 times)

backrowbandit

• God
  • A little respect please...
  • Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius
on: July 19, 2020, 07:52:53 PM
It's very sad to see clubs with very fragile finances in real trouble. Hull Ionions have made a desperate appeal for funds to save their club... The link below allows you to contribute to their £10000k appeal(??? Doesn't seem much..?)

Anyone who cares about Is should make a contribution to allow them to continue trading.

Presumably all paid players have been let go?

https://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/hull-ionians-needs-your-help
Loving all rugby but especially at grassroots level.

Builders mate

• Finding my feet
Reply #1 on: July 23, 2020, 11:01:21 AM
Thanks for highlighting this.
Since going live, we have raised over £13k from friends and supporters, with Sport England matching £10k, that's over £23k within a week.
This would be great news for any Club that stil has regular bill's to pay despite having no income during the lockdown.

But then you let yourself down with your comment on releasing paid players.
Why would players be "let go"? If players want to leave they can but, where woukd they go? Are Scarborough paying retainers during this period?
Outside of levels 1 & 2, would any Club be paying players during a period when there is no Rugby and no income?
A really silly comment to make when a Club is struggling.

backrowbandit

• God
Reply #2 on: July 23, 2020, 04:36:03 PM
I was happy to highlight your appeal...check the donations made.

Regarding players I was simply helping out ,..many clubs find big egos prevent necessary cost cutting which ultimately leads to insolvency. Just checking that wasn't the case there..
Glad you raised the funds you did.,

Builders mate

• Finding my feet
Reply #3 on: July 24, 2020, 02:55:09 PM
I was happy to highlight your appeal...check the donations made.

Regarding players I was simply helping out ,..many clubs find big egos prevent necessary cost cutting which ultimately leads to insolvency. Just checking that wasn't the case there..
Glad you raised the funds you did.,

With regards to your comment re: "big egos", I am always happy to listen to the advice of an expert.

Master_Knowledge

• Forum old hand
Reply #4 on: July 24, 2020, 08:52:29 PM
When I thought 2020 couldnt get any weirder I have to agree with BRB.
Having spoken to people from a few different Yorkshire clubs in the last few days they all find it laughable that a club who have spent so much on players in the last 5 or so years are effectively asking for handouts. It's laughable.

Be interesting to see what the response would be if a Halifax vandals, an ossett or a wibsey suddenly asked yorkshire rugby folk to generate £100,000 for them to have.

Builders mate

• Finding my feet
Reply #5 on: July 24, 2020, 10:57:05 PM
Master Knowledge,
I think the only thing laughable is your comments.
What are you agreeing with? Who is asking for £100,000? What do you know about any money spent on players at Hull Ionians? I think it's time you changed your name.

The Crowdfunding appeal is to cover some of the income lost during the enforced Covid-19 closure. This lost income would have been used to run a community rugby club which has daily running costs to meet, despite having no income. This is nothing to do with paying players.
Other clubs such as Otley and Tynedale have been similarly proactive and successful with Crowdfunding appeals. Are they also guilty of seeking "handouts"?

What a poor opinion you have of Yorkshire RU supporters. The money we have raised has come from Club members, friends and supporters and, well done to all involved.
I believe that if Halifax Vandals, Ossett or Wibsey made it know that they were struggling, the respective club members, supporters and the "rugby folk of Yorkshire" would be big hearted enough to help them.

Master_Knowledge

• Forum old hand
Reply #6 on: July 24, 2020, 11:06:35 PM
Thou doth protest  too much.

Had you not been paying ridiculous money to those players and lived within your means you wouldnt need the cash now.

You appear to be the only person not picking that up.

Builders mate

• Finding my feet
Reply #7 on: July 25, 2020, 11:51:28 AM
Thou doth protest  too much.

Had you not been paying ridiculous money to those players and lived within your means you wouldnt need the cash now.

You appear to be the only person not picking that up.

Limited Knowledge,
I will always protest against poorly informed nonsense.
You have no facts on which to base such a ridiculous comment and, you have totally ignored the questions I put to you in my previous posting because you have no answers.

You carry on and enjoy your shortsighted prejudice and bias, if that's what you wish.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 11:57:32 AM by Builders mate »

davie

• One of the boys
Reply #8 on: July 25, 2020, 04:45:06 PM
I have no knowledge of whether Ionians pay players or not. Presumably they pay bar staff and nobody bothers about that.
However every club is in the same boat at the moment and asking their members and sponsors to help them out.
Is BRB’s club impervious to all this? If so what’s the secret?

Rob13

• Forum old hand
Reply #9 on: July 25, 2020, 05:18:29 PM
I think it’s a bit naughty to be taking handouts from sport England and the RFU if the club are known to pay out salaries and ridiculous ones at that.

backrowbandit

• God
Reply #10 on: July 26, 2020, 09:11:28 AM
I have no knowledge of whether Ionians pay players or not. Presumably they pay bar staff and nobody bothers about that.
However every club is in the same boat at the moment and asking their members and sponsors to help them out.
Is BRB’s club impervious to all this? If so what’s the secret?
Don't bring me into this! I advertised the fundraising link and offered some free business advice. And as it happens my club has no need to make emergency funding campaigns...which is why I'm happy to help those who do.

Red Horseman

• Legend of the Game
  • Aquila non capit moscas.
Reply #11 on: July 26, 2020, 10:17:42 AM
Hardly an issue. My old club (Nat 1 level) issued an appeal for £40K and quickly raised that through member / sponsor donations and grants from Sport England etc. The only way to compete and survive above Level 4/5 is to pay players. Always has been, always will be. The amount of "wages" is nowhere near what many people may think either.
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO DRINK CHEAP WHISKY.

Builders mate

• Finding my feet
Reply #12 on: July 26, 2020, 10:57:36 AM
I think it’s a bit naughty to be taking handouts from sport England and the RFU if the club are known to pay out salaries and ridiculous ones at that.

No one is taking 'handouts'. Simply taking advantage of the Grant assistance available, which lots of RU clubs are doing up and down the country.

With regard to your comment on salaries think you may be confusing us with our near neighbours in the city.