$txt['mentions'] = 'Mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_removeMentions'] = 'Remove seen mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_desc_removeMentions'] = 'Automatically removes seen mentions older than the specified days'; Update on Future League Structure

Update on Future League Structure

This is a discussion for the topic Update on Future League Structure on the board Other Senior Rugby.

Author Topic: Update on Future League Structure  (Read 12377 times)

Harry Hotspur

• Finding my feet
Reply #1 on: August 15, 2020, 10:55:14 AM
I foresee a break away Yorkshire league in the offing. Looks like 12 team leagues from next season

oneoftheoldfarts

• One of the boys
Reply #2 on: August 15, 2020, 12:11:19 PM
Unless you are level 7 and below, losing up to 3 home games will be a killer.

Red Horseman

• Legend of the Game
  • A little respect please...
  • Aquila non capit moscas.
Reply #3 on: August 15, 2020, 12:19:37 PM
What happens to the Cup competition block booking slot when league games in Jan/Feb are snowed/frozen off, as can happen north of the Watford Gap?
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO DRINK CHEAP WHISKY.

Fredsbar

• Paternal Voice of the Silent Majority
Reply #4 on: August 15, 2020, 02:52:31 PM
Currently cup competitions have precedent over league matches.

avinastella

Reply #5 on: August 15, 2020, 07:08:16 PM
I bet a certain Yorkshire committee member is happy now he's finally got his way.
"Bother!" said Pooh, as he found his smack had talc in it.

Fredsbar

• Paternal Voice of the Silent Majority
Reply #6 on: August 17, 2020, 01:53:51 PM
Avinastella

No one has got their own way apart from FRG. The one thing I would say is that with 14 team leagues last season was difficult (ignoring Covid 19).

Playing 12 team leagues with a viable cup competition at the end of the season, is not a disaster. Market the Cup games properly and clubs will soon recoup the money they have ‘lost’ owing to a reduction in home league games. Don’t forget clubs could have 2 + home matches if they progress in the Competition.

backrowbandit

• God
  • Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius
Reply #7 on: August 17, 2020, 02:15:25 PM
I think we all need to take some time to digest the proposals and take on board the full implications - plus we need to see how the proposed league structure will look in practice (after all we've had a very recent example of brain dead planning).

Once we completely understand what is offer then we can all decide whether to embrace the changes or go for a breakaway. Although a number of clubs are already in active discussions about leaving the structure.

I am presently completely open minded and will just be relieved when real rugby is back being played in any size league!

Loving all rugby but especially at grassroots level.

Dan Nulty

• Legend
Reply #8 on: August 17, 2020, 02:41:45 PM
Whilst understanding the arguments against, I've always been an advocate for 12 team leagues. I am completely bemused however by the free weekend at the beginning of October. Weather usually decent for a game of rugby then and much better to have free weekends Dec/Jan/Feb.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 03:54:36 PM by Dan Nulty »

avinastella

Reply #9 on: August 17, 2020, 09:41:29 PM
Avinastella

No one has got their own way apart from FRG. The one thing I would say is that with 14 team leagues last season was difficult (ignoring Covid 19).

Playing 12 team leagues with a viable cup competition at the end of the season, is not a disaster. Market the Cup games properly and clubs will soon recoup the money they have ‘lost’ owing to a reduction in home league games. Don’t forget clubs could have 2 + home matches if they progress in the Competition.
Think we'll have to agree to differ.
"Bother!" said Pooh, as he found his smack had talc in it.

Ribbflagman

Reply #10 on: August 18, 2020, 11:03:14 AM
Will be interesting to see what happens to the re-structuring if, as imho, we may not play ANY league rugby next season. If there is a second spike and there is still any form of social distancing recommended, it will be impossible to play our game.

Ribbflagman

Reply #11 on: August 18, 2020, 11:14:32 AM
As a footnote, if we didnt play next season and the re-structuring was rammed through I think the following would be relegated on last years league positions.

Bees
Malton      Down to y1

Ponte
Leos    Down to Y2

Yarn
Wetherby     Dowm to Y3

Skipton
Hemsworth  Down to Y4

Thoughts Please.

backrowbandit

• God
Reply #12 on: August 18, 2020, 11:17:26 AM
I'd had similar thoughts....

Ubique

• One of the boys
Reply #13 on: August 18, 2020, 11:26:17 PM
If they used the final league standings rather than the positions teams were at when play was stopped, would it not be Durham and MN down to DN1/Y1 with a possible level transfer required and Ponte and Brid down to Y2?

backrowbandit

• God
Reply #14 on: August 19, 2020, 12:04:23 AM
If they used the final league standings rather than the positions teams were at when play was stopped, would it not be Durham and MN down to DN1/Y1 with a possible level transfer required and Ponte and Brid down to Y2?
Correct..I hadn't looked at the tables but assumed flaggy had.