$txt['mentions'] = 'Mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_removeMentions'] = 'Remove seen mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_desc_removeMentions'] = 'Automatically removes seen mentions older than the specified days'; Rugby Start up

Rugby Start up

This is a discussion for the topic Rugby Start up on the board Other Senior Rugby.

Author Topic: Rugby Start up  (Read 15860 times)

Sail By

• The lord of the Manor...
Reply #15 on: August 28, 2020, 09:47:55 AM
Can some please show me the science behind this second wave?

Yes infections are up because we are testing more people, but hospital admissions are at a low and the horrendous deaths are at the lowest rate. On August 19th there were zero deaths in UK!!

A couple of years 29,000 people died from a flue pandemic and we carried on as normal. We need to get back to a new normal soon!

Dan Nulty

• Legend
Reply #16 on: August 28, 2020, 11:51:37 AM
I think the reason is that there is no vaccine for this whereas there is a flu vaccine. If one isn't developed in time for winter then if we carry on as normal we may see a huge number of deaths in the older generation.

I genuinely can't imagine the Govt want to deliberately shaft the economy to the extent it is being done if it wasn't serious.

Sail By

Reply #17 on: August 28, 2020, 12:05:41 PM
I agree with your thoughts on the vaccine, but where is the science?

Herd immunity is where they want to be but in a controlled manner.

Pristine Shorts

• A little respect please...
Reply #18 on: August 28, 2020, 01:25:44 PM
Coviysteria rules, unfortunately. I get more depressed by the day by the stupidity and pettiness of the ‘regulations’.

Builders mate

• Finding my feet
Reply #19 on: August 28, 2020, 02:00:51 PM
I dont think the Government are shafting anyone. It is the Media who are filling everyones head with negativity. The Media are simply dying to play the blame game. BBC news is not worth watching anymore.
At the end of all of this the Media and Opposition will insist on a massive enquiry, costing £millions, that will result in solicitors getting rich and produce a report that says the Government should have locked down 2 weeks earlier. So what.

As testing increases, more and more people are being found to have Covid but have no symptoms, are not unwell and are not dying but, havng said that, a vaccine is essential if the RFU are to allow Club 1stXV's, 2nd's, 3rd's etc etc to play and Clubhouses around the country be once again filled with players, members and supporters.

backrowbandit

• God
  • Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius
Reply #20 on: August 28, 2020, 06:31:01 PM
I had lunch with Bill Sweeney today and he is and the RFU are pushing very hard for a November start.
Loving all rugby but especially at grassroots level.

Bren

• Forum old hand
#lovesport

Sail By

Reply #22 on: August 28, 2020, 08:57:22 PM
Great news!!!

Rob13

• Forum old hand
Reply #23 on: August 28, 2020, 10:10:05 PM
I honestly think it’s border line criminal what the media get up to these days,twisting information and driving fear with lies.

The same Bill Sweeney that thinks rugby union will triple in size?I find him slightly deluded.

Pristine Shorts

Reply #24 on: August 31, 2020, 09:18:44 AM
Whilst infections continue to rise, it would appear that hospitalisations and deaths have declined steeply. Even the BBC have been forced to acknowledge the fact ( below )

Decline in daily deaths continues
While the number of new confirmed cases of coronavirus has been rising again recently, government-announced deaths have continued to fall since a peak in mid-April.
On Sunday, the government reported just one further death in England. No new deaths were reported in Scotland, Northern Ireland or Wales.

I wonder if there was to a poll amongst players, how many would vote to start again in, say, October. I appreciate that this isn’t going to happen, but as the demographic profile of players suggests they are ultra low risk anyway....

Rob13

• Forum old hand
Reply #25 on: August 31, 2020, 09:30:56 AM
Majority of players Ive spoken with want it to to go ahead and would be prepared to sign away to do it. Footballs back and with fans too, I appreciate the fairy sport isn't really contact but I think times moving on and we have to get on with it. Speaking with one particular player this weekend it was sad to listen to him, he doesn't have much going for him and he loves rugby it gives him an escapism with plenty of other reasons I won't go into.Point being sport plays a huge role in peoples lives and may be the difference between keeping people on an even keel to going over a cliff edge.

Pristine Shorts

Reply #26 on: August 31, 2020, 10:21:28 AM
A very good point. Not only sport has suffered - look at the performing arts, or the massive backlog of court cases, or NHS cancer -screening...oh, and the economy of course : corviysteria.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-53951764?__twitter_impression=true

Ribbflagman

Reply #27 on: September 01, 2020, 11:40:21 AM
What would happen if after a game one player was positive. Would the whole of two teams, plus subs, ref, flaggies, coaches, and any supporters who went into the clubhouse, have to isolate for 14 days?? In effect that would mean a club not having a team available for then next two saturdays at least, with those isolating being unable to train. It really is a desperate state of affairs which I ,at the moment , simply cannot see being overcome regardless how much some people want to play.
Dont mean to be seen as negative, just realistic.

Pristine Shorts

Reply #28 on: September 01, 2020, 12:21:57 PM
I’m not sure what happens in the professional game. Is every player tested after every game ? If you can play Amateur Soccer, surely there could be some watered-down version of rugby, without post-match testing. Isn’t that what’s on the agenda ?

My original question was hypothetical, as there isn’t going to be a players’ vote, but if there was.....

Oldandslow

Reply #29 on: September 01, 2020, 12:51:22 PM
Understand in Scotland community rugby is planned to return on 31 October, what does Nicola know that the RFU & Boris don’t.