$txt['mentions'] = 'Mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_removeMentions'] = 'Remove seen mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_desc_removeMentions'] = 'Automatically removes seen mentions older than the specified days'; Is rugby buggered? Will the game look very differnt on the other side?

Is rugby buggered? Will the game look very differnt on the other side?

This is a discussion for the topic Is rugby buggered? Will the game look very differnt on the other side? on the board Other Senior Rugby.

Author Topic: Is rugby buggered? Will the game look very differnt on the other side?  (Read 8430 times)

gateprop

• Paternal Voice of the Silent Majority
Given today's news that the final weekend of Premiership games is in chaos due to two clubs suffering an outbreak despite all the testing and "bubbling" that takes place at that level, we seem to be at a decision point.

Do we accept that there's nothing that can be done to stop this thing until a vaccine becomes available and start playing again with individuals taking their own risk decisions regarding participation,

Or stop pretending any form of meaningful competition can / is likely to happen this season and pull the shutters down, leaving clubs to carry on their own internal training systems in the interests of physical and mental wellbeing and explore alternative methods of income generation ?

Not sure where I stand on this one....

Given that professional rugby clubs, rugby league teams, international footballers and even world leaders manage to test positive for Covid 19 despite all the restrictions and facilities they have available to them is there ever going to be a point where our game is safe to play, in any form, until the virus is gone?

It goes one of two ways for me:
1) The game is not safe to play so there’s no grassroots rugby until an effective vaccine is found.
2) We resume playing in January with the game as is. There are certainly areas we can speed up the game around rucks, line outs and scrums without having to sanitise the game itself as they seem to be the key areas of concern on the pitch. Off the pitch clubs will just have to do what they can. Spread out over multiple changing rooms where possible, certain numbers in the showers at a time, no sharing kit/water bottles/etc.

Maybe things will be clearer come the end of January once the flu season and students coming home effect has been seen in the numbers plus the effects of any further local and national lockdowns/restrictions.

oldun

• Forum old hand
My view is that there is ZERO chance of league/merit rugby being played this season.

The pandemic will, as predicted by many experts, be worse in this 2nd wave than the first, and will last well into Spring.

No sane "player" at an amateur level would want to put at risk family members, both older and younger for the sake of 80 minutes of high risk activity, and the associated travel, changing, post match activities.

Having said that. there will be many younger players with the same attitude as shown in our larger cities, ie "sod you" i'm young and it won't affect me too much so i'm going to carry on as normal!!!

Alas there will be many clubs who will not survive, either because of financial problems or the sheer problem of members drifting away, particularly those with young families.

Red Horseman

• Legend of the Game
  • A little respect please...
  • Aquila non capit moscas.
No better example of "Generation Me" in action. Not just young people either it must be said - if those supposed to be setting the standards can't be bothered, and face no sanction when caught out, why should everybody else? Triples all round thanks to Mr Scummings.
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO DRINK CHEAP WHISKY.

Sail By

• The lord of the Manor...
While the media are focusing on the "young" I think that you might find that the age range is quite significant.
There are some people who think that this is not going to effect them and the elderly should isolate themselves.

Red Horseman

• Legend of the Game
That's what Generation Me is all about. Go and isolate yourself so that I can have a good time.

Dan Nulty

• Legend
It isn't just the young generation me who are guilty. I've been told someone known to my dad got back last week from a holiday. 2 days later they received a phone call to their mobile from Bradford track and trace asking if they were prepared for 12 more days of isolation. They said 'of course we are', 'can you come to your window and wave at us then please so we can see you are isolating?', 'ah, well, we are just shopping in Pontefract at the moment so no.' £1000 fine and rightly so.

Red Horseman

• Legend of the Game
Generation Me is a term referring to the baby boomer generation and the self-involved qualities that some people associate with it.

backrowbandit

• God
  • Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius
It isn't just the young generation me who are guilty. I've been told someone known to my dad got back last week from a holiday. 2 days later they received a phone call to their mobile from Bradford track and trace asking if they were prepared for 12 more days of isolation. They said 'of course we are', 'can you come to your window and wave at us then please so we can see you are isolating?', 'ah, well, we are just shopping in Pontefract at the moment so no.' £1000 fine and rightly so.

I'm guessing they've never had the problem of university student debt to worry about  :)
Loving all rugby but especially at grassroots level.

NeilL

• Finding my feet
Anyone who thinks the Gruniad is a "commie rag" doesn't have much grasp on reality. It is an always has been a Classically Liberal rag and never knowingly supports the left!!
But as for the matter in hand, worth having a look at the women's 15's for a model of how the game could be played. Because there is no money for the testing the premiership have gone in for, they have introduced rule changes to cut down face to face contact.
All technical offences (knock on, lineout throw not straight) now result in a tap penalty to the non offending side. Scrum option removed from full penalties. Catch and drive only allowed for lineouts in the 22. After 2 rounds of matches currently averaging less than 3 scrums a game. Watched a couple of the games on youtube, and well worth a watch, it certainly looks like rugby. game much faster and I'm guessing not long before teams begin replacing props with extra backrowers.
Not sure how it will be greeted by some of the sides in the Yorkshire league who like a Saturday afternoon of scrummaging.

Rob13

• Forum old hand
Don’t think it will matter much as according to Harrogates twitter they have abandoned this season with potentially a cup competition to give ‘some’ fixtures if the sides in their league agree.

gateprop

• Paternal Voice of the Silent Majority
Don’t think it will matter much as according to Harrogates twitter they have abandoned this season with potentially a cup competition to give ‘some’ fixtures if the sides in their league agree.

https://www.ncarugby.com/announcements/latest-statement-on-format-for-2020-21-national-league-season/