$txt['mentions'] = 'Mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_removeMentions'] = 'Remove seen mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_desc_removeMentions'] = 'Automatically removes seen mentions older than the specified days'; RIP

Author Topic: RIP  (Read 886 times)

Offline Ian1307

• Finding my feet
    • View Profile
RIP
« on: February 04, 2021, 08:10:47 PM »
Along with many clubs I dare say, York lost one of the true gentleman of Yorkshire rugby when Don Butler sadly died having contracted COVID aged 87. Don was a well known and loved rugby character who perhaps best known as the driving force behind York Unicorns, the midweek invitational side that was a friendly collection of players from all over the region. Lifetime York RUFC member and York RI member a proper old school, Bon viveur and one of the best known personalities of the rugby and sporting population of the area.

Struck us as at York whether it was a bit insensitive to post this as all clubs have suffered losses - but the Unicorns was not York it was all the regional clubs - and their opposition.  And if other clubs share their losses so we can celebrate anyone else we've lost then that's a good thing.

Offline backrowbandit

• God
  • A little respect please...
  • Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius
    • View Profile
Re: RIP
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2021, 06:58:43 AM »
That's very sad to hear and condolences from all at Scarborough.

Regarding sharing sad news, even in these fractured times, shouldn't be seen as insensitive. As a rugby family it enables us all to remember people we may have only known through rugby and from the touchline.

It's a sad fact that when we do get back to 'normality' there will be a number of familiar faces missing when visiting other clubs.

I've been starting to think that after all this has gone away, people may have much greater appreciation for things that were previously taken for granted. Maybe the decline in traditional team sports will reverse.

Loving all rugby but especially at grassroots level.