$txt['mentions'] = 'Mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_removeMentions'] = 'Remove seen mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_desc_removeMentions'] = 'Automatically removes seen mentions older than the specified days'; Leagues within a league

Author Topic: Leagues within a league  (Read 47921 times)

Offline Young Turk

• One of the boys
    • View Profile
Leagues within a league
« on: September 20, 2015, 08:51:34 AM »
We have a distinct split in the league this season...between those clubs who have either 'invested' in Southern Hemisphere talent and/or raided their neighbouring clubs, the allure of £100 a game being to hard to resist for the mercenaries of the Yorkshire leagues.

League A (proper clubs)
Yarnbury
Selby
Old Crocs
York
North Rib
Hullensians
West Park

League B (the investors)
Bridlington
Scarborough
Bees
Salem
Malton and Norton
Heath
Old Brods

It does make for some interesting battles, but not everyone can go up or go down. I just hope for the sake of the big spenders that missing out on promotion and settling for mid table obscurity isn't going to stretch the club  to far for seasons to come.

Offline ac/dc

• Forum old hand
    • View Profile
Re: Leagues within a league
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2015, 09:09:21 AM »
Without looking at your previous posts, I bet your team has had a rocky start to
The season and your team is in the League A (Proper clubs) section ? It's going to be a cracking league this year, let's just sit back and enjoy the games and see how it finishes rather than having a go at other clubs when possibly yours isn't doing very well !!

Offline Red Horseman

• Legend of the Game
  • A little respect please...
  • Aquila non capit moscas.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2015, 09:23:11 AM »
I see the dreary annual subject has arisen a bit earlier than normal this season.
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO DRINK CHEAP WHISKY.

Offline Premier

• Forum old hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2015, 09:29:31 AM »
My only reply to this post will be??
Young Turk- There are clubs in your proper clubs that have or getting South Hemisphere chaps.

So facts right and so what- Back to rugby

Offline ac/dc

• Forum old hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2015, 09:30:43 AM »
Young Turk, from Yarnbury explains it all !!

Offline west vale lad

• Forum old hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2015, 09:32:22 AM »
Young Turk. You obviously have not done your homework on this one. Heath have no Overseas player; they have recruited one player from a local club; one player from rugby league and have 3 players who have come out of premature retirement to help the cause. We also do not pay players. Sorry but you will have to put us in your league!!!!

Offline Red Horseman

• Legend of the Game
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2015, 09:44:15 AM »
Time was though when Heath did have overseas player(s), and so did Yarns. Take your opportunities when you can. That's what proper clubs do.

Offline 183372

• Finding my feet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2015, 10:11:18 AM »
I would like to know when Yarnbury had an overseas player and what was his name.I am a life member with over 50 years direct involvement and I don't know of anyone who fits that category.I am proud to belong to a true rugby club with strictly amateur principles,providing rugby for our community at all levels.(5 senior teams and 10 junior teams)We also have a healthy thriving club,of course it all depends how you measure "success"short term or long term.I favour the latter option,after all we  must be doing something right as we are still here after 143 years.

Offline avinastella

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2015, 10:19:00 AM »
My only reply to this post will be??
Young Turk- There are clubs in your proper clubs that have or getting South Hemisphere chaps.

So facts right and so what- Back to rugby
Also seems he's not aware of or forgotten the BIK for certain players at his place.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 10:31:32 AM by avinastella »
"Bother!" said Pooh, as he found his smack had talc in it.

Offline Red Horseman

• Legend of the Game
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2015, 10:20:48 AM »
Numbersman- then have a whisper in your Turk's ear and tell him to stop whinging or go play somewhere else, because he obviously doesn't buy into your club's principles!

( " buy" - see what I did there...)

Offline Young Turk

• One of the boys
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2015, 10:49:36 AM »
My post was an attempt to start a discussion about the fact that this season, more than others previously, rather than having one team $ma$hing everyone, we have two competions occurring within one league and that is intruiging. Possibly distinguishing the two as 'proper clubs' and 'investors' was unfair, so we will go with 'amature' and 'semi-pro'. The split of teams I went for is based on nothing but hearsay and conversation with a few learned friends so I apologise if I've put your club in the wrong league.

Offline Red Horseman

• Legend of the Game
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2015, 10:54:47 AM »
Life is all about choices. You obviously missed the fact that the game stopped being amateur many, many years ago! Choosing to stay amateur doesn't give you any moral high ground. Get over it.

Offline Young Turk

• One of the boys
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2015, 11:51:58 AM »
RH, which club are you from? I'm a Yarnbury player, and believe it or not I'm not bitter! We had a tough day at the office yesterday against a much strengthen Brid side who fielded no fewer than 5 imports...we can only hope that when the winter kicks in the Southern Hemesphere boys won't fancy it as much!

Reborn Bob, who are you referring to? If the results are anything to go by, it does seem that the summer break has been kind to Hullensians?

Offline avinastella

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2015, 12:23:24 PM »

Reborn Bob, who are you referring to? If the results are anything to go by, it does seem that the summer break has been kind to Hullensians?
Speaking to Chef, they've got goods links with the Uni, confirmed by one of our own. They've also benefited from poor man management by some of their local rivals.
"Bother!" said Pooh, as he found his smack had talc in it.

Offline ac/dc

• Forum old hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2015, 12:38:43 PM »
I would like to know when Yarnbury had an overseas player and what was his name.I am a life member with over 50 years direct involvement and I don't know of anyone who fits that category.I am proud to belong to a true rugby club with strictly amateur principles,providing rugby for our community at all levels.(5 senior teams and 10 junior teams)We also have a healthy thriving club,of course it all depends how you measure "success"short term or long term.I favour the latter option,after all we  must be doing something right as we are still here after 143 years.
[/quote

You have 5 senior teams and 10 Junior teams that's fantastic, but we all know that, Yarnbury love mention it when cash is mentioned and your first team isn't doing well.