$txt['mentions'] = 'Mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_removeMentions'] = 'Remove seen mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_desc_removeMentions'] = 'Automatically removes seen mentions older than the specified days'; Leagues within a league

Leagues within a league

This is a discussion for the topic Leagues within a league on the board Yorkshire 1.

Author Topic: Leagues within a league  (Read 64699 times)

geraldinio

• Finding my feet
Reply #60 on: September 22, 2015, 10:18:05 AM
TheSmash hits the nail on the head.

Yarnbury - a club run by generations and local lads. It says it all when you go on tour and there is a 70 year difference between the youngest tourer and the eldest. Would not change it for the world.

boing

• One of the boys
Reply #61 on: September 22, 2015, 10:44:00 AM
I think its crazy anyone gets paid at this level, players and coaches alike.  I don't see the point. 

Mink

• Forum old hand
Reply #62 on: September 22, 2015, 11:08:20 AM
i think that the only difference this year is there is not a club like pheonix that are looking not just for promotion but to move up through the leagues

obviously i can only speak for the club that i am involved with, but i can say that brods have not done what they have for the last couple of seasons. a team based around home grown talent that is supplemented with 1 or 2 over seas players. this summer we also had a push at trying to bring 'brods lads' back to the club.

hobbo

• Legend
Reply #63 on: September 22, 2015, 11:36:51 AM

Yarnbury - a club run by generations and local lads. It says it all when you go on tour and there is a 70 year difference between the youngest tourer and the eldest. Would not change it for the world.

Is that serious, 70 years?

Premier

• Forum old hand
Reply #64 on: September 22, 2015, 11:42:51 AM
Mink- I watched the game on Saturday v North Ribb
As your comment above it was nice to see a couple of lads returning to their roots at Old Brods.
Overseas players- I can imagine that the big overseas prop will teach the young Brods prop a hell of alot about playing the game and adding value to the club for the future.
Must say fantastic atmosphere before the game at a lunch, good game and most of all great atmosphere after watching the World cup.

geraldinio

• Finding my feet
Reply #65 on: September 22, 2015, 11:49:52 AM

Is that serious, 70 years?

Correct. Our old Chairman and life-long member at 87 years was on the trip along side a 17 year old nipper who we have brought the junior sides and is now pushing first team.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 11:55:08 AM by geraldinio »

Mink

• Forum old hand
Reply #66 on: September 22, 2015, 01:38:19 PM
not sure how many other teams do this but to promote home grown talent on the team sheet in the programme there is a * next to each of the names of the lads that have come through the junior section.
From the 18 man squad on saturday 12 players have come through the junior set-up.

Red Horseman

• Legend of the Game
  • A little respect please...
  • Aquila non capit moscas.
Reply #67 on: September 22, 2015, 02:02:52 PM
I guess two thirds of a squad might actually be a bit below average Mink?

Not quite sure how doing this "promotes" talent, or is it a variation on the Yarnburyesque attempt to claim some vague moral high ground? Just asking.....
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO DRINK CHEAP WHISKY.

Mink

• Forum old hand
Reply #68 on: September 22, 2015, 02:11:59 PM
there are young kids at brods that want to play first team and get their name in the programme with an * next to it.

i two thirds of a squad to have come through your own junior section is good... I would be interested in hearing similar figures from other clubs.

Red Horseman

• Legend of the Game
Reply #69 on: September 22, 2015, 02:58:36 PM
Fair enough.

BingleyBugle

• Finding my feet
Reply #70 on: September 22, 2015, 03:41:23 PM
Bees home grown players in last Saturday's squad: Hooker, James Brown, Both Second Rows, Tom Booth and Dan Cookson, Number eight Tom Cummins. Scrum Half and Skipper, Richard Scull, Centre Benny Greaves, Winger Nick Gore. All three of the bench - Baz Clark, Michael Crotch and Josh Seal.

The others - Loose Head, Roger Raper, has played for us since about 2002 having joined us from University; Tight Head, Paul Sinfield, joined from Keighley during the summer; Number 6, Masiu Akuaola is a kiwi who came back over when Tom Cummins returned to Bingley in August; Number 7, Alastair Macdonald is a Welsh chap who moved to Bingley last year due to his wife's job; Number 10, Gerhard Nortier is S African, a friend of a friend of Martin Whitcombe's; Number 12, Lachlan Moore, another Kiwi Tom Cummins dragged back with him. Number 11, Ross Peltier joined us from Keighley Cougars RL and full back Shaun Driver is a 9 or 10 Kiwi who joined us last season and got all loved up - so is still with us.

backrowbandit

• God
  • Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius
Reply #71 on: September 22, 2015, 04:01:56 PM
Seven of the starting team....that's low.... In fact very low really..
Loving all rugby but especially at grassroots level.

Red Horseman

• Legend of the Game
Reply #72 on: September 22, 2015, 04:13:48 PM
Brods       12/18
Bees        10/18

Let's get the full picture. (Well, we won't be hearing from  Brid, Malton or Crocks, but the others would be interesting.)

Ribbflagman

Reply #73 on: September 22, 2015, 06:04:25 PM
twelve of our 17 starters/subs last week. we sacrificed a sub so we could get the twos out.

Young Turk

• One of the boys
Reply #74 on: September 22, 2015, 07:03:42 PM
Yarnbury had 12/18 home grown players against Brid, but were without an entire starting back row 12, 13 and 11 due to injury and honeymooning....all of whom would be classed as home grown.