$txt['mentions'] = 'Mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_removeMentions'] = 'Remove seen mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_desc_removeMentions'] = 'Automatically removes seen mentions older than the specified days'; Would people have a problem with York resting players?

Would people have a problem with York resting players?

This is a discussion for the topic Would people have a problem with York resting players? on the board Yorkshire 1.

Author Topic: Would people have a problem with York resting players?  (Read 11269 times)

backrowbandit

• God
  • A little respect please...
  • Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius
Reply #30 on: April 17, 2018, 11:18:48 AM
Note the sub-thread here about the ages of some Props. Jonno is a very good player whom I've reffed on a number of occasions at at least  2 different clubs. But one of the characteristics of RU has always been these fabled front row guys of indeterminate age. When I reffed Level 6 a few years ago Crocs had a prop (age rumoured but unconfirmed) who was probably the most illegal scrummager I have ever seen. At the same time Middlesbro' had a very effective but also illegal tight head who would take a step back just prior to engagement causing the scrum to collapse on occasions on opposition put in. The law changes have mitigated against such characters but our game does allow for all shapes and sizes at club level.
I believe Pete Emms at Scarborough played until his 60's in the front row in the 3rd XV. BRB would know. Great stuff.

Yes Pete Emms was playing well into his 70's and I suspect that he would still be playing now if he hadn't been struck down with (I believe) sepsis and died suddenly when he was fit as fiddle.

https://www.thescarboroughnews.co.uk/news/tributes-paid-to-rugby-legend-1-6116560
Loving all rugby but especially at grassroots level.

Dark Arts Advocate

Reply #31 on: April 17, 2018, 12:44:14 PM
DAA if Jonno is as you say the best scrummager at the league champion club at 41 and York it appears have more than competed in this area, then where does it leave all the rest of the younger props in Y1?
Up and coming.

That is unless I’ve got it wrong and he is one of the young lads.
Not sure if you have ever played in Devils Garden, JPB?

Age (within reason) has very little to do with being able to scrummage. Technique, Strength (core in particular) and experience are the three essentials for the front row. And whilst Johno is on the wrong side of 40. I suspect that he would start in any of the Yorkshire 1 sides.
i have seen all the front rows in the league and there are some very good props around, but in my opinion Johno is the best scrummager in Y1. He has been the glue that York have been missing for a number of seasons and his contribution with several others should not be underestimated.
Have no fear of perfection, you’ll never reach it.”

Lee_D

• Finding my feet
Reply #32 on: April 17, 2018, 01:40:51 PM
DAA, i have to agree, i think our front row has been far more competitive this season with a stable TH Prop, as a club we have 4 or 5 very good and up and coming LH props that can hold their own on the right hand side when required, but it is such a niche role underpinning the structure of the scrummage, which is why it is such a hard role to fill even at much higher levels than Y1/N1E and up to the premiership. 
And you are right i think that Y1 will be the envy of most level 7 club sides in England with the standard of props at each club.

Chief Selector

• Forum old hand
Reply #33 on: April 17, 2018, 02:20:03 PM
your right guys about tight heads, thats why at a higher level they are paid like stand offs and that good ones are hard to find.....of course i would argue that Hooker is by far the most important position on the field  ;D

just passing by

• One of the boys
Reply #34 on: April 17, 2018, 03:54:54 PM
Just to get this right - props mature with age just like the 2000 Chatea La Croix Du Merle that I am sampling at the moment?

Lee I am now confused over which side of the scrum is right or left. If they start at LH with 1 then surely it’s TH 3 on the right.

I can remember Jonno being rescued from Garforth around 1998, whoever did that must have had a glass ball.
Age is a high price to pay for maturity

Calder-beast

Reply #35 on: April 17, 2018, 04:44:54 PM
Cue Fredsbar..........

Ian1307

• Finding my feet
Reply #36 on: April 17, 2018, 04:49:04 PM
York playing weakened side is fake news once again. We will select from available and registered players our strongest side as we have done all season. There is no club who will share the kind of information being banded about by SP, so please use a bit of common sense when reading his posts.

The fun Police have arrived!

;D

Woody

• One of the boys
Reply #37 on: April 17, 2018, 05:36:15 PM
It’s been decided that heath will be resting players in preparation for a summer touring team coming from Mansfield.

Calder-beast

Reply #38 on: April 17, 2018, 06:28:13 PM
Is that summer 2019? 8)

Former No3

• Finding my feet
Reply #39 on: April 17, 2018, 06:56:11 PM
your right guys about tight heads, thats why at a higher level they are paid like stand offs and that good ones are hard to find.....of course i would argue that Hooker is by far the most important position on the field  ;D

But hookers have their own scale of charges

WL XIII

• "Not even noon shadows pass through Death Valley"
Reply #40 on: April 17, 2018, 11:05:45 PM
York should pick which side they think is easiest to beat twice next year ;D
It's not just people with triskaidekaphobia that should fear Outside Centres. Everyone should.

Occasus Leodis sumus creber

stubbs

• One of the boys
Reply #41 on: April 18, 2018, 10:22:34 AM
DAA and Lee D.   Jonno was also decent when he had to go to hooker on saturday which shows how much front row experience/ability counts,

Dark Arts Advocate

Reply #42 on: April 18, 2018, 10:23:44 AM
Just to get this right - props mature with age just like the 2000 Chatea La Croix Du Merle that I am sampling at the moment?

Lee I am now confused over which side of the scrum is right or left. If they start at LH with 1 then surely it’s TH 3 on the right.

I can remember Jonno being rescued from Garforth around 1998, whoever did that must have had a glass ball.
Its a shame that the powers that be at York did not listen to my advice at the time! I remember telling a number of them that they should make a move for Johno after watching him play for Cas against York a number of years ago. I suspect if they had and then managed to keep hold of him, York would not have been viewed as the under achievers of Yorks 1. We will never Know!

Dark Arts Advocate

Reply #43 on: April 18, 2018, 10:03:22 PM
York to beat Bev.
Scarbs to beat .Keighley.
Brough to beat Heath.

Great season!

Scarborough to win play off!